All Hallows’ Chapel, as the Chapel for the Brisbane Sisters of Mercy and the All Hallows’ School, is a place of special significance. A request to be married in the Chapel presupposes in the parties an awareness of the religious dimension of the occasion, and is subject to certain guidelines (see Eligibility Criteria below).
As All Hallows’ is part of the Cathedral Parish, all weddings celebrated here must adhere to the policies of the parish and of the Archdiocese regarding the conduct of Catholic marriages. Currently this means that all weddings must be conducted in the presence of a Catholic Priest or Deacon.
To be eligible to be married in All Hallows’ Chapel, one of the following criteria must be met:
- The bride or the bride’s mother or the grooms mother is to be a past pupil of All Hallows’ School;
- The bride or groom’s immediate families have had a significant association with the school or the Sisters of Mercy;
- Either the bride or groom is a staff member of All Hallows’ School or an employee of the Sisters of Mercy.
All bookings are subject to verification procedures, to ensure only eligible couples marry at All Hallows’.
Steps for booking your wedding
The following provides a brief guideline only for the booking process. Special circumstances may mean that your booking will not progress like this.
- Read the Information & Guidelines document provided below.
- Consult the eligibility criteria to ensure you are eligible to be married at All Hallows’.
- Choose a date and time for your wedding (with alternatives in case your date is not available)
- Phone the Mercy Heritage Centre to check the availability of your date and make a tentative booking. Please do not alter the time of your wedding without consulting us as there may be other weddings booked on the day you have selected.
- Contact and book a Priest to officiate the wedding if you have not already done so. You will need to meet with him to discuss details of the order of service, government and church paperwork and counselling.
- Fill out your Mercy Heritage Centre booking form and return it to the Mercy Heritage Centre with your payment. You will have one month from the date you made your tentative booking in which to do this to secure and finalise your booking. Failure to do so will result in cancellation of your booking.
- Fill out the St Stephen’s Cathedral booking form, and give it to your Priest to sign before returning it to St Stephen’s Cathedral. You must submit this form with at least a month and a days notice before the wedding to meet the appropriate deadlines, though preferably as soon as you have met with your priest.
At this point in the booking process, the Mercy Heritage Centre requires no further contact until it is time for the wedding rehearsal to be booked in approximately one month before the wedding.
If you have any further questions, please consult the Information & Guidelines document below and then Contact Us if your question is not answered there.
Information & Paperwork
Photos of All Hallows’ Chapel weddings are available in our Photo Gallery.